Monday, July 11, 2016

Andy Murray 'unlikely' to play against Serbia



Andy Murray said on Monday he was unrealistic to play for defending champions Britain away to Serbia in the current week's Davis Cup quarterfinals in the wake of winning his second Wimbledon title.

Murray, who beat Milos Raonic in straight sets in Sunday's Wimbledon last, said he would go to Belgrade regardless to bolster the group, and would talk about his support with commander Leon Smith later on Monday.

"I addressed Leon the previous evening at the ball quickly," the world No 2 told a triumph public interview at the All England Club.

"I'll talk to him this evening to settle on an official choice.

"I'd say it's looking impossible however regardless of the possibility that I don't play, I'm still likely going to go in any case just to be there with the group."

Serbian world No 1 Novak Djokovic, who endured a stun thrashing to Sam Querrey in the Wimbledon third round, won't join in the challenge, saying he was not feeling "100 percent".

The last-eight tie will be organized on dirt at the Tasmajdan Stadium. The three-day challenge begins on Friday.

Murray drove Britain to their first Davis Cup accomplishment in 79 years with triumph over Belgium in November and the trophy was in plain view at the Wimbledon Museum amid the competition.

If Murray somehow managed to play against Serbia, it would mean him changing from the grass of Wimbledon to dirt in Belgrade, before moving again to hard courts for the Canadian Open and the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Games.


OLYMPIC TITLE Defense

Murray said he was anticipating safeguarding the Olympic title he won at the London 2012 Games, when the Rio competition gets going on August 6.

"The Olympics is imperative to me," the Scot told BBC TV.

"I adored the experience and winning a gold award, you understand how extraordinary it is.

"I need to attempt and perform well at the Olympics and afterward the US Open comes only a couple of weeks after that also.

"I have to get a couple of not too bad weeks of practice on the hard courts."

The 2012 US Open is the main other Grand Slam title Murray has won, other than his 2013 and 2016 Wimbledon crowns.

In Sunday's Wimbledon last, Murray neglected Canada's Raonic with an imperious 6-4, 7-6 (7/3), 7-6 (7/2) triumph.

Murray said he might want to overwhelm Djokovic as the world No 1, however let it be known would be an intense assignment.

"It's conceivable. I'd rather set the bar as high as could be expected under the circumstances and not exactly accomplish it than say I'd be glad completing at five on the planet," the 29-year-old said.

"I'd adoration to get to No 1 yet many individuals are overlooking what Novak's finished.

"The most recent year and a half, he's been mind boggling and barely lost any matches by any stretch of the imagination. In the event that I need to arrive, I have to attempt to win more matches against him."

English Prime Minister David Cameron was in the Royal Box on Center Court with his mom for Sunday's last and thereafter on court Murray said he didn't favor the chief's occupation.

"Did I intend to humiliate Cameron? No I surely didn't," Murray told fans in a live question and answer session on Facebook.

"I welcome he came to bolster yesterday and came to watch and like I said a while later – it's one of the hardest occupations on the planet with parts and loads of obligation.

"I don't begrudge any individual who is in a position like that – it's to a great degree troublesome."

No comments:

Post a Comment